... I blogged here.
Then life seems to have happened! It's been terrific starting my new job. I have honestly adored every day that I've gone to work since August 6th. The kids started on Thursday, and they seem really terrific. The school culture is incredibly strong, and I can't wait to work at becoming a better teacher in an environment that is so supportive.
But about books...
So for a week or so I rode the T to work, which was okay. It's certainly less expensive, but it takes a lot longer (~1hr40 round trip instead of ~1hr). So, unless finances dictate otherwise, I'll continue to drive.
BUT when I took the T, it was a great opportunity to read. I read Rawhide Down, a non-fiction work about the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan. It was informative for two reasons: 1.) I knew nothing about said assassination attempt and 2.) I actually read a book about Republicans. In the increasingly partisan world that we're in, it's easy to avoid accessing media from "the other side"... I hope I never change my views and decide to someday run for Republican office. If I did, this post could stop that in its tracks.
Now I'm into two books.... The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (slow and steady might have to win the race here) and Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. I'm actually listening to Bel Canto on my drives home from work, so I never listen to more than 30 minutes per day (on the way TO school I listen to NPR. Much love).
Thus, not a lot to report literature-wise.
FITNESS
Once upon a time, when I listed "fitness" and "camping" as two activities I liked and was mocked (mercilessly?) by my roommates, I decided to change my habits. I'm happy to say that I now really rely on working out, and that the camping thing is coming along. Brendan and I did a really nice day hike at Wachusett Mountain yesterday. We had planned to go to NH and do an overnight stay, but pinkeye kept us here. Gross. I hope it goes away soon and never comes back.
I'm now a member of the Judgment Free Zone (if I could do the copyright symbol here I would...) at Planet Fitness in Eastie. Hopefully this means that after work I go to the gym instead of coming home. I know myself well enough to know that if I make it back here and a.) Brendan is here or b.) it's supper time, then there would be no working out.
My wedding dress came in this week. I haven't gone for a fitting... because I need to Planet Fitness to the best of my ability for another month or so before I go down that road. Summer parties, cocktails, and cookouts put me a little bit farther from "wedding ready" than I'd like to feel when trying on MY WEDDING DRESS :-)
Enough rambling for today. Happy September. So far it's rocking....
No comments:
Post a Comment