Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 2. Steve Jobs, by Isaac Watterson

I never thought that a book about an electronics mogul would make me think about religion, even if it is Good Friday. I've gotten a slow start to the book, considering the vast amounts of free time I've had for the past 48 hours (no work, no Brendan...). In the section I read this morning, however, Watterson discussed Jobs' departure from Christianity in favor of a more Buddhist Zen spirituality. Jobs is quoted (roughly) as saying that Christianity was lost for him when it was more about faith than about treating people like Jesus did. Maybe I read it wrong, or maybe that's what he meant.

It's an interesting perspective at this point in my faith life. I've gone through periods of intense clinging to the Church (vocation retreat, anyone?) and periods where I don't go to Mass unless I have to (where I find myself now). As I prepare for the sacrament of marriage with Brendan, a ceremony we want to have in a Church, it brings up the question... why?

The way Watterson is writing, Jobs also sounds like a jerk. I am fairly certain that I wouldn't have liked him if I met him, as I would have felt immediately self-conscious around him. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment